Building on cutting edge research done at Carnegie Mellon University and University of California, Irvine, Edfinity’s adaptive learning technology continually assesses each student’s strengths and weaknesses and precisely fills learning gaps with personalized content and assessments. This technology improves performance, promotes mastery, and builds a robust foundation for future coursework. Adaptive Learning can be enabled for any Edfinity course.
Strong evidence of improved student outcomes
Edfinity Adaptive Learning’s efficacy has been established through controlled experimental studies conducted in large-enrollment multi-section courses at two-year (community colleges) and four-year (public and private) institutions. These studies were conducted at a range of math levels in various courses including:
- Developmental Math/Quantitative Literacy
- Introductory/Intermediate Algebra
- Precalculus/College Math
- Calculus I/II/III
Sections that used Edfinity Adaptive Learning showed substantial improvement on key measures:
- Assignment completion rates. Increased from 74% to over 92%
- Average assignment scores. Increased from 71% to over 85%
- Percent of students achieving mastery. Increased from 72% to 88%
Note: Mastery is defined as scoring over 80% on an assignment.
How it works
- Continuous diagnosis of strengths and weaknesses.
- Targeted guidance through personalized problem pathways that move the student forward.
- Self-paced progress through learning objectives with educator support.
Edfinity Adaptive Learning provides socio-emotional support, builds confidence, and fills gaps in learning.
Backed by proven research
- Builds upon Bayesian Knowledge Tracing (BKT) and Knowledge Space Theory (KST) developed at Carnegie Mellon and University of California Irvine.
- Continually assesses each student’s knowledge state – the topics they’ve mastered, struggle with, and are ready to learn.
The Edfinity difference
Edfinity overcomes three major shortcomings in legacy adaptive systems:
- No more ‘black box’ adaptivity. Edfinity empowers educators to customize every aspect of the Adaptive experience.
- Preventing Student frustration. No more endless, mandated remediation. Edfinity allows students to pace their mastery without falling behind and builds their confidence.
- Ensuring affordable access. Edfinity access costs between $17 and $29 per student depending on scale of adoption and support - a fraction of the cost of legacy adaptive systems.
Adaptive Learning is now available for most Edfinity courses. For more information, see Getting started with Adaptive Learning.