Configuring Edfinity as an external app in Canvas
As a Canvas administrator, follow these steps to integrate Edfinity with Canvas as an external app.
- Contact Edfinity at firstname.lastname@example.org to receive a consumer key and shared secret for your institution.
- In Admin Settings, select the Apps tab, and then add a new app.
- Select Configuration Type of By URL.
- Enter your app name, consumer key, and shared secret.
- Specify Config URL = https://edfinity.com/lti/configure.xml
- Select Submit.
- The Edfinity app will be created. Educators will now be able to integrate their courses using these instructions.
Canvas Information Transmission Summary
|Sent to Edfinity
|Received from Edfinity
Canvas user ID, user role, and LTI role
Optional, but highly recommended: First Name, Last Name, and Email*
*Without email, we have no way of contacting students and thus cannot provide technical support to them.
|Canvas course ID
|Canvas resource ID
|Score information returned from Edfinity via OAuth. The information is transmitted using encrypted identifiers for the user and cannot be traced back to a student, even if intercepted.
Testing the Integration
If you'd like to test the integration without setting up your own Edfinity account, you can follow the following steps:
- In a Canvas course, create an assignment.
- Select External Tool as the assignment type, and use the following URL as the URL for the external tool: https://edfinity.com/lti/assess?assignment_id=5e1df06d1a0ec26dfebf2787
- Save the assignment.
- Go to the assignment, and the click on the Load button
- If you are taken to edfinity.com and prompted to enroll (at no cost), the integration is working.