OfficeHours simulates live instructional support by providing conversational, step-by-step solution walkthroughs for randomized equivalents of homework problems that students struggle with.
How It Works
In contrast to typical problem solutions, OfficeHours walkthroughs conversationally guide students through the problem-solving approach with questions and hints that fortify conceptual understanding. In other words, OfficeHours strives to mimic the support provided by educators to students who come to their office hours.
OfficeHours walkthroughs are created using AI-language models and refined by math educators.
Statistical Evidence of Effectiveness
- Edfinity has conducted rigorous statistical analysis to establish the effectiveness of OfficeHours by analyzing a large sample (n = 75,000) of students on Edfinity, approximately half of which used OfficeHours.
Two-sample one-sided t-tests* (with significance level α = 5%) established:
- A statistically significant increase in assignment scores for students using OfficeHours (t = 2.48; p < .01)
- A statistically significant increase in assignment completion rates for students using OfficeHours (t = 2.51; p < .01)
Edfinity also conducted two-sample t-interval analysis to determine 95% confidence intervals for the increase in assignment scores and assignment completion rates:
- 95% confidence interval for increase in assignment scores for students using Office Hours: (17.3%, 24.6%)
- 95% confidence interval for increase in assignment completion rates for students using Office Hours: (19.3%, 23.2%)
OfficeHours Example Walkthough #1: Precalculus/College Algebra
OfficeHours Example Walkthough #2: Calculus
OfficeHours can help you achieve:
- Reduced student use of cheating sites that compromise integrity and the learning process.
- Greater student engagement by building confidence in problem solving.
- Measurable improvement in outcomes by providing support when students need it the most.
- An increase in the productivity and impact of your overburdened teaching assistants.