By default, when an assignment becomes due, all student assignments are automatically closed and scores are posted to the grade book. You can control whether to let a student receive partial credit for work done after the due date, specifying how much credit they will receive and how long they can work beyond the due date. If late work is enabled:
- Items worked on before the due date receive full credit.
- Items worked on within the late period receive partial credit (incurring a late penalty).
- After the late period ends, student assignments are closed, scores are posted to the grade book, and no additional work is permitted.
Note: You can make changes to the late work policy after students after they have started, and the changes will take affect immediately, but please consider how those changes will affect the students. Specifically:
- Changes to late work options can retroactively impact the credit a student receives for their answers. For example, assume you allowed late work at 80% credit, and change it later to 70% credit. In this instance, student assignments will be re-scored to reflect the change. There is one exception to this behavior - if a student has received full credit for an item, their credit cannot be reduced.
- Changes to a due date will also change where the late period falls (after that date).
Enabling late work for an assignment
To enable late work for an assignment:
- Go to your assignment, and select the Settings tab.
- Open the Availability panel.
- Select Give credit for work done and specify the partial credit amount and the length of time after an assignment is due that the student will be permitted to continue working.
Viewing the late work policy on a student assignment
To view the late work policy on a student assignment, go to the assignment and select the Scores tab. Select the student's name to open the student assignment. On the Summary tab, the late work policy is detailed. Students can also see this information when working on their assignment. If late work is disabled, this panel will not be shown.
Viewing the impact of the late work policy on a student's score
To view the impact of the late work policy on a student's score, go to the assignment and select the Scores tab. Select the student's name to open the student assignment. On the Summary tab, the Your Score panel details credit received for work, including any late penalties.
During the late period, students will be informed when an item is submitted late (after the due date). After their assignment results have been released, they will also be able to see any late penalties incurred .