Edfinity supports integration with Canvas - this enables the following:
- Students can access Edfinity via Canvas via "single sign on" - they do not need to create separate Edfinity accounts.
- Grades are automatically sent back to the Canvas grade book.
You can link courses in two ways:
- You can each Edfinity assignment to Canvas individually and a grade will be passed back for each assignment. This is the most common configuration.
- You can also link to an entire Edfinity course as a single Canvas assignment, and a single averaged grade for all the assignments will be passed back to Canvas.
Your Canvas admin needs to add Edfinity as an external tool before you can link your Edfinity course to Canvas. If you do not see Edfinity under External Apps on your Class Settings page in Canvas, please ask your institution's Canvas administrator to contact us at email@example.com. If you are a Canvas administrator, detailed instructions for setting up LTI authentication can be found in the administration guide.
Step 1: Indicate your course will be accessed from Canvas
- Go to your course page on Edfinity, select the Settings tab, and open the LMS/LTI section of the Settings tab.
- Select From your LMS and then select Canvas.
- Select if you are linking assignments individually or using a single course link
Step 2: Linking to Edfinity assignments
Option 1: Linking assignments individually (Canvas Cartridge Import)
When first setting up your Edfinity course, you can quickly create assignment links in Canvas by importing all of your Edfinity assignments directly into Canvas at once.
- Go to your course page on Edfinity and click on the Settings tab.
- On the Settings tab, open the LMS/LTI section, and then select Export assignments for LMS.
- Select Download export file. This will export the assignments in a cartridge format for import into Canvas.
- In Canvas, go to your course and select Settings.
- Select Import Course Content with a Content Type of Common Cartridge 1.x Package.
- Choose the exported file, select Import, and select assignments to import.
If you need to link additional assignments later on (i.e. assignments you create after your cartridge import), you can follow the instructions here to link additional assignments.
Option 2: Single link for the entire course (single grade passback)
- Select the Clipboard icon to copy the external tool URL.
- Open your Canvas course and add a new assignment. Choose a Submission Type of External Tool. Paste the URL into the External Tool URL field.
- Check Load in a new tab. Some browsers treat embedded deep links as cross-site tracking and prevent them from working properly. It is strongly advised that you check this option.
- Configure other assignment settings as needed. Then save and publish your assignment.
Important: Coordinating due dates
Edfinity and your LMS both have a means of setting availability dates and due dates. We recommend using Edfinity to manage the dates and allow unrestricted access to assignments from within your LMS. If this isn't possible, you will need to ensure due dates are manually synchronized in both systems in order to prevent issues with availability.
Grades are posted from Edfinity to your LMS whenever the student's score on an Edfinity assignment changes (if you are using assignment-level grade linking) or whenever their Edfinity gradebook grade changes (if you are using a single-grade passback for the course).